Monday, February 11, 2013

Golden Beets



Did I really just say Golden Beets? Yep, yes I did.
Right now it's the season, and every farmers market we go to, I see these beautiful but not so yummy root veggie. Or so I thought. Recently we went to our friends house, the wonderful Barker family, and had a delicious salad, which had what you ask...? GOLDEN BEETS as an ingredient. I have tried to eat beets a number of time, but usually i try my grandmas steamed or roasted red beets, and I admit that I was not a fan. Golden beets however aren't as strong as a red beets and have a little bit of a sweet flavor. So I went to farmers on Saturday, purchased beets for the first time, and roasted them for a yummy salad. This salad had: avocado, goat cheese, golden beets, arugula, butter leaf, candied pecans, and pink lady apples. Korey (my amazing husband) actually ate everything in it, with a few beet pieces to spare. I was impressed. BEETS are BACK I thought!
Since then I have found this yummy SPICEY ROASTED BEETS recipe from For the Love of Food. It's super simple.

2 bunches of medium golden beets, tops trimmed and quartered
2 Tbs coconut oil

Spices:
1/2 teaspoon cumin 
1/2 teaspoon paprika
a pinch of chile powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss beets with oil and lay flat on sheet pan.  Toss with spice mixture.  Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.  Sprinkle with some additional salt and pepper, if desired.  Serve warm and enjoy!
Images: -1-2-



2 comments:

  1. I am friends with Natalie and love Beets and love to blog! I will for sure be trying this recipe! Now that you are thinking of trying more beet recipes you should check this one out too {it's become one of our favorites}! xo -*laura*

    http://landoffruitsandveggies.blogspot.com/2011/01/roasted-beet-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the yummy recipe laura! So glad you are checkin out my blog! I am following you now too! The land of fruits and veggies blog had some yummy stuff! Happy Monday girl!

      Delete